Sunday, November 30, 2008

That time of year.....

Well guys and gals, tomorrow is our big day. But for me, it will be the day that I am not familiar. It will be the first time since 1977 that I will not take that journey to my favorite destination. My camp is located in North Central PA that is about 5 hours from my house. It wasn't a weekend trip mostly because we do not have electricity or running water, which means we have to bring everything! It is one of two places I hunt in PA. The other spot belongs to a very good and dear friend, who I have hunted and fished with since 1985, in South Central PA. I remember the early years of my life, when I watched my father get his hunting equipment together and could not wait until the day that I could share my own experiences in the woods with my father. He would get dressed in his hunting clothes for me and my sister. They would hunt the first week of the season. They would leave for the camp on Sunday around 4 in the morning. They would get the camp ready for the week. Hook up the propane, start a fire in the pot-belly stove to warm up the contents of the camp, unpack all the cars and trucks, put away the food for the week, make coffee, claim their beds and get them ready. Then came the sighting in of the rifles. The took turns shooting. When you were not shooting you went to the spring to fill up the jugs with water. Then when everything was done, they went to the other camps in the area to see old friends and talk about were everyone will go that first morning . When I was 12 we always went back to the camp so I could hunt. My dad would take me out of school on the last Friday of the second week. Then when I was able to take the first week off, I have never missed opening day of buck season in PA. Until this year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.